1/28/2012

"OK"




Plenty of things are "OK."  My commute to work.  $7 bottles of wine. The ballet.  Joe's basketball skills.

I aspire for better with my cooking.

Which is why I was disappointed with a meal I'd told myself was "fantastic," but my husband thought was "OK".  No biggie.  I'll just share it with my blog-friends, instead.  Too bad the internet can't channel smells...

In what I'd consider one of my more impressive meals to date, I seared salmon, simmered lentils, roasted cauliflower and had everything finish at the same time.  Aspiring cooks out there know that task is easier said than done.

The salmon is a recipe is one I normally reserve for myself on nights when Joe is out of town.  I love fish and he isn't a fan.  I'll take tonight's comment of, "It's better than normal," as a glowing compliment, given the subject matter.  

The other two recipes were new ones.  I'd previously had in my head that cauliflower couldn't be good.  I avoid it, at all costs, on veggie platters.  It's tasteless and has an awkward texture.  It might be tolerable with cheese.  They're even less than "OK" in my opinion.  Why eat something like that?!



Because it's amazing when the Barefoot Contessa gets a hold of it, that's why! Lentils apparently also fare well when a professional chef instructs you what to do.  The cauliflower actually had flavor (and the garlic cloves were unbelievable).  The lentils unique.  These recipes were delicious and unexpected.  Try them and be pleased.  In my opinion, they're anything but "OK."


Recipes:
Pan-seared salmon: No recipe other than sprinkling salt, pepper and dried dill over a salmon fillet (removed of the skin).  Seared in a pan filled with a tablespoon or two of olive oil on medium-high heat for 3 minutes per side.  






No comments:

Post a Comment